The post is offered with a standard, 10 PA contract.
The appointee will, together with consultant colleagues, be responsible for the provision of a comprehensive, efficient and cost-effective clinical medical microbiology service including:-
- advice regarding appropriate specimens
- involvement in specimen analysis
- validation and interpretation of results for transmission to wards
- regular ward visits (incl. ITU/HDU each day)
- attendance at various multidisciplinary team meetings (cardiology, haematology, orthopaedic, spinal, vascular)
- advice on antimicrobial prescribing including regular antimicrobial ward rounds
- regular review of patients with C. difficile infection
- involvement in the management of individual patients through full clinical liaison
Laboratory, service development & managerial:
- Provision of virology/serology services as appropriate.
- Appropriate involvement in preparation of policies, SOPs, assessment and introduction of new methods, business planning, etc.
- Managerial and administrative duties as agreed with the Clinical Lead for Microbiology and the Clinical Director.
- Such additional duties as may be required from time to time either by the Clinical Lead for Microbiology or Clinical Director, after appropriate consultation.
Health protection work:
- With consultant and other colleagues (and when necessary with the support of the local HPU), provision of microbiological and epidemiological support, including surveillance, for Consultants in Communicable Disease Control, Environmental Health Officers and others, and for clinical staff in hospitals and the community, within the catchment area of the Department of Microbiology.
- Collaboration with Public Health England’s central reference & epidemiological facilities in the reporting and investigation of infections, control of outbreaks, development of laboratory methods, involvement in surveys, etc.
- Public Health microbiology as required, in collaboration with the local Health Protection Unit, in the catchment area of the laboratory (e.g. testing of outbreak specimens).
The microbiology laboratory is open from 8.30 am to 8 pm, Monday – Friday, and from 8.30 am to 5 pm at weekends. On-call specimens are currently processed in the Essential Services Laboratory.
As well as a comprehensive and very busy clinical microbiology service, the department provides a full range of bacteriological, mycological and parasitological investigations, and a wide range of serological tests and virus detection tests.Specimens for specialist serology & molecular tests are mostly sent to the Public Health Laboratory in Bristol who also provide the trust with specialist clinical virology advice.
The population within the microbiology department’s catchment area is approximately 465,000.
More information can be provided about the location and popular things to do around the area upon request.
Applicants will be expected to be members of the Royal College of Pathologists or show equivalent experience and training.
Applicants must hold Full and Specialist registration (and with a licence to practice) with the GMC, or be eligible for registration within six months of interview.
Applicants that are UK trained, must also be a holder of a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT), or be within six months of award of CCT by date of interview.
Applicants that are non-UK trained, will be required to show evidence of equivalence to the UK CCT.
This position is offering an NHS salary of between £79,860 - £107,668, dependent on experience.
About Skilled Medical
Skilled Medical is an international medical recruitment, placement and services firm that delivers qualified medical professionals wherever they are needed in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.
With local offices in London and Melbourne, we provide a personalised service to assist medical professionals with locum/temp and permanent placements.
Skilled Medical is a doctor-led company with years of industry experience and is dedicated to assisting medical professionals in their work and careers.
For further information, please send your most up to date CV to Adam Collings by selecting the 'Apply' button below, or please call a member of our permanent team in London on +44 (0) 333 444 2000 or in Australia on 1300 900 100.